Applied Physics Systems is a leading manufacturer of sensors and systems used in oil field,
industrial and scientific applications. We design and engineer all of the products we supply.
Our primary products are directional sensors, magnetometers and downhole drilling sensors
History: Applied Physics Systems was founded in 1976 by Bill Goodman and for over
thirty years has developed expertise in the design and manufacture of magnetometer
sensors. In the last fifteen years, Applied Physics has developed and expanded its
products for drilling systems, electrical, mechanical, and computer software systems.
Applied Physics Systems is a leader in the manufacture of magnetic field measuring
equipment, including fluxgate magnetometers and clip-on milliammeters. We also
manufacture a broad line of angular orientation measuring sensors, including steering
sensors for directional drilling applications and miniaturized sensors for general purpose use.
In addition to our standard products, APS conducts contract research for other organizations
in the fields of its expertise. APS can design and build modified versions of our instruments
as well as completely new instruments to solve your needs for magnetic field measurement,
orientation sensors, steering tools and clip-on milliammeters.
APS is also a world leader in the design and production of Rock Magnetometer systems
and accessories. These systems are produced in partnership with William S. Goree, Inc.
and are sold under the 2G Enterprises name. 2G has its own web site with complete
information on the instruments offered: http://www.2GEnterprises.com
Sunnyvale, California - Applied Physics Systems, Inc. Announces Discontinuation of
the Model 750 Directional Sensor
As of April 1, 2012, Applied Physics Systems will no longer accept orders for Model 750
and Model 850 Directional Sensors rated to 150 deg. C and below.
This action is being taken because certain parts critical to this type of sensor will no longer
be available to Applied Physics Systems. Model 750HT and Model 850HT directional sensors,
which are rated to 175 deg. C, will not be affected by this change.
Sunnyvale, California - Applied Physics Systems, Inc. Announces Availability of
the Model 760 Directional Sensor
Applied Physics Systems announces the April 1 release of the newly designed Model
760 Directional Sensor. The Model 760 is intended to replace all existing Model 750
series directional sensors rated at 150 deg. C or below, which are being discontinued and
taken out of production once all current obligations are fulfilled.
Model 760 Product Enhancements
The Model 760 directional sensor is 100% compatible with existing Model 750 units, and
has the following improvements and new features:
- More rugged sensor package
- More rugged chassis with Max Temperature Indicator
- Accurate inclination while rotationg (at 20 deg. inclination or greater)
- Accurate azimuth while rotating
- Real-time clock
- Real-time rotation detection
- Accurate RPM detection from static to 400 RPM
- Full logging and device history
- Windows-based customer log download program with variables for Max Temperature,
Max Vibration and Max Shock
- Absolute and resettable counters for operational hours
APS has expanded into its new, state-of-the-art production facilities in Sunnyvale, California.
Our new address is 281 East Java Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA
Applied Physics Systems has begun field tests in North America of our new Model 600
Near Bit Sub. Designed to be run with the AP-250 EM MWD System, the Model 600
comes in 5” and 6.5” sizes, both with a length of 36”. On-board sensor and electronics
packages provide inclination, azimuthal gamma, vibration, and rotation data, all transmitted
wirelessly to the AP-250 EM MWD System located above the power section of the BHA
where it is then transmitted to the operator on the surface via EM telemetry.
Field testing is expected to last 30-60 days with a commercial product release to follow
upon successful completion.
We're hiring. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information about the
following positions. Include JOB INQUIRY and any reference information in the subject field.
All resumes should be in PDF format. Applied Physics Systems is an EEO Employer. M/F/D/V
We’re looking for experienced Electrical and Mechanical Engineers with specific experience in
oil field applications, sensors (magnetic, accelerometers), and high temperature/high vibration
We’re looking for high-end assemblers with experience in high temperature solder assembly
and complex calibration procedures.
This person designs, develops, analyzes, documents and supports testing of mechanical portions of APS products. This person interacts with engineering and customers to establish product requirements for new products, and works with suppliers and factory for DFM review prior to releasing the designs.
- Skilled SolidWorks user
- Experienced in the use of Geo-Dimensioning and Tolerancing interpretation according to the ASME Y14.5M (1994) standards
- Knowledgeable in statistical tolerance analysis and finite element analysis.
- Strong mechanical design background with manufacturing and machine shop experience
- Knowledge of metals and ability to conduct performance tradeoffs in selection of material for each application
- Good oral and written communication with the ability to interact with assembly and machine shop/vendor personnel
- Creative problem solving skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in difficult situations
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Design experience in Oil Field applications a plus
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering plus a minimum of 5 - 10 years of relevant experience in product development.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Material Handler / Receiving
This position is responsible for receiving, inspection, disposition, and testing of all RMA materials returned for processing. This position requires the employee to perform 100% incoming inspection on all RMA materials, basic RMA discrepancy troubleshooting, scrapping and final disposition of materials in accordance to established work flows.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes incoming RMA material against materials specified in each RMA.
- Follows established workflows in determining the proper disposition of materials once received.
- Performs 100% inspection and verification on all RMAs.
- Performs reconciliation on products serial numbers/part numbers upon receipt. Performs 1st level research on discrepancies. Corrects problems where possible; escalates others.
- Performs 1st level research on all incoming discrepant RMAs utilizing information contained in Made2Manage (M2M) database system. Researches receiving data, parts numbers and related items on the computer, when an inventory discrepancy is discovered.
- Works with RMA Coordinator, Sale Reps and other sectors to resolve 1st level discrepant RMA issues.
- Escalates 2nd level discrepant RMAs to Service Manager for resolution.
- Sorts incoming RMA material into appropriate categories (new, repairable, or scrap).
- Counts stock and puts materials as received (New or RMA returns) into correct inventory locations as directed.
- Submits applicable materials for scrap authorization.
- Maintains all RMA team efficiency metrics.
- Updates information in M2M and records in computer network systems where applicable.
- Uses PIT equipment regularly. Operates a forklift. Maintains all applicable forklift certifications.
- Maintains safety stock inventory.
- Keeps track of estimated time allocation (ETA).
- Requests short parts where applicable, follows up with ETA.
- Checks out repaired units to Ready-to-Ship.
- Assists throughout the warehouse's functions.
- Assists with assembly and disassembly of products following drawing diagrams.
- Assists with testing products using functional, performance, reliability, and stress tests.
- Assists with shipping and receiving responsibilities as needed.
- Assists with special projects for the Service Department as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
All employees are responsible for their personal safety and the safety of others. Therefore, all employees must:
- Participate fully in company health and safety programs and comply with all company OSHA policies and procedures.
- Follow all lawful employer safety and health rules.
- Wear and / or use Personal Protective Equipment, when and how instructed.
- Report hazardous conditions to management.
- Report any job-related injury or illness to management, and seek treatment promptly.
Education: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, and certification as a forklift operator.
Experience: Requires a minimum of three years of experience in a manufacturing warehouse inventory control environment and a minimum two years of experience in electronic testing or equivalent.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Basic math and computer skills are needed.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Must be able to work with database comfortably.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Knowledge of RMA process.
- Knowledge of electronic components to evaluate condition and repair ability a plus.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must have strong communication skills, be able to work independently and be team oriented.
Physical, mental and environmental demands:
- Assigned duties are accomplished primarily in an office/production setting. Must be able to maneuver around an office/production setting, work at a desk/work station/in the warehouse and follow written and oral instructions.
- Must have the manual dexterity to operate a computer and other necessary office /production equipment.
- May be required to bend, reach and lift up to 100 lbs.
- Must be able to operate a forklift truck.
- Must be able to walk, stand and bend for an entire shift.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed.
Software Test Engineer
Applied Physics Systems is looking for a Software Test Engineer to provide software testing services in support of the engineering product development team.
You will be responsible for developing, updating and maintain testing toolsets, test cases, use case scenarios, working with developers to diagnose application problems, supporting production environments and maintaining test and systems plans, scripts and documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshoot and complete problem report in a detailed manner.
- Write automated test scripts, test plans, test cases and test procedures.
- Write and maintain test scripts based on requirements or test cases received.
- Must be able to perform requirements analysis and apply technical knowledge to design, write test plans, execute and debug test cases.
- Must possess the ability to integrate the whole picture including Functional, Regression, Stress, and Load Testing.
A minimum of 5 years’ experience is required with a Bachelor’s degree.
Must have proven experience with the various aspects of software testing such as equipment, inspection, code review, integration, verification, regression and acceptance testing.
Must be proficient with MS Office tools and MS Visual Studio.
A background in a hardware-software integration environment preferred.
Find out more about Applied Physics Systems and our products
at these 2014 trade shows:
IADC/SPE Drilling Conference
SPE - Offshore Technology Conf.
Global Petroleum Show
SPE Annual Technical Conference